Saturday, April 12, 2008

Do they celebrate Easter in Taiwan? In Kindergarten they do!

In order to make a little extra cash, and to get myself out of the habit of waking up at 2 pm everyday, I picked up a kindergarten class in the morning. Here are some pics from a field trip to a garden, and our Easter celebration.

First, the field trip...

Not much to describe here. It was to a local garden that had a large koi pond, some fountains, and a slide. It mainly consisted of me walking around, pointing and saying, "fish," "duck," or "flower," as the kids repeated.

I also spent a great deal of time making sure no one fell in the koi pond.








For our Easter celebration, we sang a song, had an egg/spoon race, pushed a ball around, and I told an Easter story... most of which I made up on the spot.




Jason (top) and Kevin (bottom) painting their papier-mache Easter eggs. We hid these later and let the kids go on an "Easter egg hunt."



The finished product



Eva

I have a theory that if you name a Taiwanese girl Eva, she is guaranteed to be adorable. I have about 6 or 7 students named Eva, and there is not one exception to the rule.


Sharon

One of my favorite students because she gives me a hug every morning.


Michael, Jim, and Ken posing for the camera.


Candy 2 and Eva

Candy 2 is probably the smartest, prettiest girl I teach.


Another part of the festivities included giving the kids hard boiled eggs and letting them have a peeling contest. This was probably my favorite part of the day, as most of the kids just bashed the eggs onto the ground, and then picked them up piece by piece and put them into their mouths.

A few actually managed to get the egg peeled in one piece, upon which they just shoved the entire thing in their mouth. I sat and watched for a few minutes as they tried to swallow before I told them they had to spit it out.

By the end, they were completely covered in egg yolk, spit, and dirt; and they all had sickly expressions on their faces.

It reminded me a lot of the scene in "Cool Hand Luke" where Paul Newman gets challenged to eat 50 hard-boiled eggs.

No man can eat 50 eggs.


Preparing to peel away


And they're off...





2 Comments:

At May 21, 2008 at 11:13 PM , Blogger Cali Thais said...

Your better be careful about having all those pictures of young kids on your camera! - J dub

 
At April 11, 2009 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Taifan said...

These kids are so cute. I travel to Taiwan many times and its always a pleasure to see how well behaved taiwanese kids are compare to AUSTRALIAN kids. But the majority of AUSTRALIANS are ugly and dumb anyway...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home