Monday, October 29, 2007

Treehouse of Horror

The past week was our Halloween unit for my Treehouse class so I got to do some fun activities with them. On Wednesday, we made masks and the kids got to go "trick or treating" with the office ladies and other teachers. Then on Friday, I brought in two pumpkins. I had carved one the night before into the shape of a skull, and together as a class we carved the second one. I should mention that real pumpkins apparently do not exist in Taiwan, so the only ones I could find were about the size of a large grapefruit. They were also about 5 inches thick and quite difficult to carve. In the end, I think my Chinese co-teachers were more excited than the kids were. None of them had seen a jack-o-lantern before either. They were all taking pictures with their camera phones and asking questions about them. At the end of the day, one of them asked what I was going to do with the pumpkins now. I said, "I don't know, probably get drunk and throw them off the balcony." She then asked if she could have one for her kid. I, of course, said yes. Then I gave the other one to Ellen. All in all, it was a pretty fun week of festivities.

Here are some pics...



Kelly cutting out her bat mask


The kids hate posing for pictures


Carving the pumpkin


Scooping out the insides



"Teacher Ethan, our pumpkin looks gay."

Whaaaat?

Another forced group pose

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home